An estimated 3.8 million adults were victims of forced sexual exploitation and 1.0 million children were victims of commercial sexual exploitation in 2016. The vast majority of victims (99 percent) were women and girls. (7)
WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?
The root causes of trafficking are lack of education, poverty, and disempowerment.
- 70% of victims are illiterate and living at poverty
- In developing countries, 61% earn less than $2/day
- Structurally violent and patriarchal society persist that put women & girls at a specific disadvantage in terms of finding economic opportunity and avoiding exploitation
- Where economic alternatives and access to education do not exist, women and girls are more vulnerable to being tricked and coerced into sexual servitude
- Traffickers use promise of an education or job to lure victims away